You will need a PDF reader to view the “Read more…” articles. Download it by clicking the Adobe Reader logo.
- Fire Apparatus Emergency Lighting Study Report
With the change in emergency vehicle lighting to LEDs, there are increasing concerns about the increasing intensity and the risks to emergency responders caused by blinding and distracting effects on drivers and others in the area. This report details the history of how the current fire apparatus lighting standards were developed, summarizes the last 20 ...
- NFPA’s annual U.S. Firefighter Fatalities report shows 64 on-duty deaths in 2018, continuing five-year trend of fewer than 70 deaths per year
June 19, 2019 – The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) released its annual “U.S. Firefighter Fatalities in the United States” report, which showed a total of 64 U.S. firefighter fatalities while on duty in 2018. This is the eighth time in the last 10 years that fewer than 70 on-duty deaths have occurred; the death ...
- Chief Sandy Davis Safety Officer of the Year Award Winner
Chief Sandy Davis Safety Officer of the Year Award – John Whalen
This year’s winner is Assistant Chief John Whalen, with the Coral Springs Fire Department.
Congratulations to John!!
The award will be presented during the section’s annual meeting at FRI.
This year’s event will occur on Wednesday, August 7, at 1 PM in room B206 in the ...
- How to use Facebook to announce a LODD
with Greg Friese
How to use Facebook to announce a LODD
Line-of-duty deaths require thoughtful planning on how to use Facebook to announce the loss of life and share information
Nov 8, 2018
A line-of-duty death, like other types of sentinel event, is an unexpected occurrence that immediately impacts operations and likely initiates a sequence of events, such ...
- 2019 Firefighter Safety Stand Down Bulletin
2019 Firefighter Safety Stand Down Bulletin
- Infamous Triangle Shirtwaist fire in New York City – unique account
From FirefighterCloseCalls – May 30, 2019
Below is a link very unique account (with numerous photos etc) of the infamous Triangle Shirtwaist fire in New York City. It is written by FDNY DC Jay Jonas who writes some of the best historical/tactical fire accounts anywhere.
NOTE: THIS ACCOUNT, like no others, is done from a FIREFIGHTER and ...
- NFPA Safety Standards News and Update
NFPA Safety Standards News and Update
- Fire Service Behavioral Health Symposium
Fire Service Behavioral Health Symposium
- Behavioral Wellness Program – (4) First Responder Behavioral Wellness Treatment facilities
From San Diego Fire
San Diego City Partners With Cigna to Offer Trauma Treatment to First Responders
The city of San Diego’s Risk Management,Fire-Rescue and Police departments launched a collaboration with the health services organization Cigna Wednesday to offer behavioral health treatment to first responders and law enforcement officials.
The city and Cigna will offer behavioral wellness ...
- FIRST and FDSOA are Taking Safety Culture to the Street
FIRST and FDSOA are Taking Safety Culture to the Street