THE 5 READS
A NEW program for Incident Safety Officers who have completed FDSOA ISO Training
Building on the outstanding training programs developed by Dave Dodson, The 5 Reads is a class developed by the Fire Department Safety Officers Association (FDSOA) for Company Officers, Incident Safety Officers and Chief Officers where they can learn to take their ability to Read 5 Critical Factors at any emergency response to the next level. The class will review and emphasize the significance of The 5 Reads which include:
- Risk: Identification, Evaluation, Prioritization, Mitigation, and Monitoring
- Buildings: Type, Era, Use, Size, Related Hazards and Predicting Collapse
- Smoke: Volume, Velocity, Density, Color, Influencing Factors, and Predicting Fire Behavior
- Hazardous Energy: Thermal, Mechanical, Wind, Chemical, Electrical, Water
- Firefighters: Capabilities, Mental and Physical Status
Using the key information gained from reading those 5 Critical Factors plans can be formulated and actions taken to insure both effective and safe emergency response operations.
Some comments from class attendees that confirms the value of the class:
- “A real world look at how to manage the fireground from people that have been there.”
- “It was a great program for firefighters that don’t run a lot of fires or operate as a full-time ISO.”
- “This is a program that should be offered outside the FDSOA conference, so more firefighters have access to the very valuable information.”
The class is an 8 hour class – $125 USD per person.
If you are interested in hosting a class – please contact the FDSOA Office: 248-880-1864 / Programs@fdsoa.org